Friday, January 4, 2013

Food Friday!

After a long hiatus, Food Friday returns!  Just in time for New Year’s Resolutions!!!  My resolution this year is to trick myself into not setting any actual resolutions which will make me feel like a follower and like I’ve given into peer pressure (everyone else is doing it!) but all the while working on some personal goals I set for myself.   Did you get that?  I’m NOT making resolutions but actually I kind of am but calling it something different.  Welcome to my brain.  IE:  I want to learn to knit, just a scarf, not afghans or sweaters or anything complex, just a scarf.  My smom made each of us girls a scarf for Christmas and they are adorable and now I want one in every color but I feel like a putz saying, “Hey smom I really love this scarf now here’s my 3 page request list in all the other color combos I want them in” so I figure I need to learn to do it myself.  She said she’d teach me and that it’s not hard, we’ll see.  I mean, I have plenty of spare time, why not take up a new hobby?  Hahahaha, now THAT is funny.  I also am going to start a fairly regimented exercise and eating (I’m not saying the D word I’m just NOT) but that is not for resolution’s sake more for NECESSITY.  And as much as I love my old lady gym and my 3-4 times per week “workouts” there it’s just not cutting the mustard probably because it’s more about coffee tawlk with the ladies than it is breaking an actual sweat. It does keep me somewhat toned but now I just need to drop a few pounds and tone a thinner me.  34 is rough, people. Uggh.

Anyway, all this talk about eating right and e*er%ising (since it’s basically a bad word I’m editing it for filter purposes, this is a family friendly blog after all…well, mostly) has made me hungry for chocolate..obviously.  Isn’t that how it goes?  The minute you decide you cut back or eliminate something from your diet that’s when you crave it the most?  While I may not be eating this in the immediate future I did make it for my family on Christmas and it was so amazing, I actually dreamt about it that night and there were angels and bells involved, it was THAT good.  Or maybe that was from watching “It’s a Wonderful Life” while eating it.  Hard to say but no matter, you need this in your life.  Make this a reward for when you lose your first 5 pounds or knit your first scarf or whatever your non resolutions may be. 

  
When GI Joe and I were on our cruise, the highlight of every evening’s dinner was the “Chocolate Melting Cake” served in individual ramekins with a little scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on the plate next to it. 
*
It was heavenly and the few times I thought I’d be adventurous and order something besides the Chocolate Melting Cake, I inevitably regretted my decision and wound up sending back whatever I had ordered and getting the Melting Chocolate Cake instead.  P.S.  That is one of the most awesome parts about a cruise.  They encourage you to try everything and if you don’t like something they are super accommodating and aren’t even offended when you ask them to bring you something else instead. Unlike at a restaurant where if you tell your waiter you don’t like what YOU ordered and want something else they will either a) tell you tough luck or b) take it back and bring you something new but you run the risk that your food now has been spit in.  You know it’s true.  When we returned from our cruise (L) besides the warm sunshine, aqua waters, and room steward named Pablo, this cake was what we missed the most.  I immediately consulted Pinterest and found a supposed copycat recipe for Carnival’s Melting Chocolate Cake.  I made it.  And it was just ok.  Boo, hiss, sob.  But then, THEN this post popped up on one of my favorite sweets blogs and I just knew that she of all people would do it right.  And she did.  And it was every bit as good as the cruise ship chocolate melting cake, maybe even, dareisay, BETTER?!?  Although there was no towel animal waiting for me in my room when I got done eating it at home so cruise ship still wins.  But this will do for when you’re landlocked.
Caution:  it’s RICH.  A glass of milk, water, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream are all must haves with this cake. 
It’s a vacation for your mouth.
Yeah I went there. 

So here’s the recipe:
Brownie Pudding Cake
Serves 6-8
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter, melted
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (I prefer Hershey's Special Dark)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
How to Make
  1. Preheat oven to 325°
  2. Melt butter in microwave safe dish and set aside.
  3. Spray a 2 qt baking dish with cooking spray.
  4. In a large mixing bowl beat both sugars and eggs for 10 minutes on medium-high speed until mixture thickens.
  5. Turn mixer to low. Add in vanilla and sift cocoa and flour into mixture, stirring until just combined.
  6. With mixer still on low pour in melted butter.
  7. Stir in chocolate chips.
  8. Spread batter into prepared baking dish. Place baking dish into a larger dish and fill larger dish with hot water, coming halfway up the side of brownie dish.
  9. Bake for 1 hour. Edges will appear set, but a toothpick will not come out clean.
  10. Let cool about 20-30 minutes and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.  (Prairie Princess note:  Let’s be honest, you COULD wait the 20-30 minutes for it to set up a little bit but who has that kind of willpower?  Personally, we gave it about 5 minutes and then spooned it into bowls and dug in.  I can’t even describe the awesomeness.  But do whatever feels right to you.)
And you may wonder how it is the next day (IF there’s any left) and if you microwave it for a bit it returns to it’s original melty, gooey, glory.

Have a great weekend!  Make this cake, the resolutions can wait til Monday right?!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment